English Idiom List – Page 1

image about idiom footloose and fancy-free

點擊標題,可閱讀成語的詳細說明

in the same boat 同在一條船上

Don’t worry, we’re all in the same boat trying to meet this deadline.( 別擔心,我們大家都在一起趕這個截止日期。

as the crow flies 直線距離

It’s just five miles as the crow flies, but the drive takes way longer.( 直線距離只有五英里,但開車卻要花很久的時間。

to draw a blank 一片空白

I studied all night, but during the test I just totally drew a blank.( 我念了一整晚,可是在考試的時候腦袋一片空白。

the last straw 最後一根稻草

When he forgot my birthday again, that was really the last straw for me.( 他又忘記我的生日,這真的讓我徹底受不了了。

the real McCoy 如假包換

Don’t worry, this autograph’s the real McCoy—it’s not some cheap fake.( 別擔心,這簽名絕對是真品,不是什麼廉價贗品。

O.K. 沒問題、同意

O.K., no problem, I’m totally on board with that.( 好的,沒問題,我完全同意。

to show a leg 快起床

Come on, it’s time to show a leg and get out of bed!( 快點啦,是時候起床了!

above board 光明正大

Everything about this deal is above board, so there’s nothing to worry about.( 這筆交易完全合法透明,你完全不用擔心。

an ace in the hole 隱藏王牌

Don’t worry about the presentation—I’ve got an ace in the hole if things go south.( 不用擔心這次簡報,就算情況不妙,我還有後招可以應付。

Achilles heel 致命弱點

I’m great at math, but spelling has always been my Achilles’ heel.( 我的數學很好,但拼字一直是我的死穴。

to add insult to injury 雪上加霜

I was already late, and to add insult to injury, I spilled coffee on myself.( 我已經遲到了,結果還不小心把咖啡灑在自己身上,真是屋漏偏逢連夜雨。

alive and kicking 活蹦亂跳

After that flu, I’m finally alive and kicking again—ready to get back out there!( 那場流感過後,我終於完全恢復活力了,現在可以重新出發!

apple of one’s eye 視若珍寶

Ever since she was born, little Mia’s been the apple of her dad’s eye.( 從小米婭一出生起,她就是爸爸最疼愛的寶貝。

a backseat driver 下指導棋

I can’t stand being a backseat driver, but sometimes I just can’t help it.( 我很討厭自己老是在旁邊指揮別人開車,但有時候真的忍不住。

to bring home the bacon 賺錢養家

Ever since I got this new job, I’ve really been bringing home the bacon.( 自從我換了這份新工作後,收入真的變得不錯。

a baker’s dozen 十三個

I ordered a dozen donuts, but they gave me a baker’s dozen instead.( 我原本點了一打甜甜圈,結果他們卻給了我十三個。

Bless you 上帝保佑、保重

I heard you’re not feeling well—bless you and take care of yourself, okay?( 聽說你最近身體不太舒服,保重喔,記得好好照顧自己。

out of the blue 突如其來

She just called me out of the blue after years of not talking.( 我們多年沒聯絡,她竟然突然打電話給我。

the bottom line 重點、核心

The bottom line is we just can’t afford that new car right now.( 重點是我們現在真的沒辦法負擔那台新車。

to pass the buck 卸責

Don’t try to pass the buck—just admit you made a mistake and move on.( 不要推卸責任,承認自己有錯,然後往前看就好了。

the buck stops here 責任在我

If something goes wrong with this project, the buck stops here.( 如果這個專案出了問題,我會負全部責任。

to bury the hatchet 結束對抗

After years of arguing, we finally decided to bury the hatchet and move on.( 經過多年的爭執,我們終於決定放下過去,重新開始。

to call someone’s bluff 攤牌

I didn’t think he really had tickets, so I called his bluff and asked to see them.( 我不相信他真的有票,所以就試探他,要求他拿出來給我看。

Catch-22 矛盾困局

It’s such a catch-22—you need experience to get hired, but you can’t get experience without a job.( 這真的是個兩難的困境——要找到工作需要有經驗,但沒工作又沒辦法累積經驗。

an old chestnut 老掉牙

That joke is such an old chestnut—I’ve heard it a million times.( 那個笑話真的超老梗了,我已經聽過一百萬次了。

a chip off the old block 像煞父母

Wow, you’re really a chip off the old block when it comes to fixing things!( 哇,你在修理東西這方面,真的跟你爸媽有得拼!

to chip in 集資捐獻

Everyone’s going to chip in for Amanda’s birthday gift if you want to join.( 大家都要一起湊錢買Amanda的生日禮物,如果你有興趣可以一起參加。

on cloud nine 喜出望外

She was on cloud nine when she found out she got the job offer.( 得知自己獲得錄取通知時,她高興得不得了。

to get cold feet 臨陣退縮

I was all set to go skydiving, but I got cold feet at the last minute.( 我本來都準備好要去跳傘了,但最後一刻還是臨陣退縮了。

to go cold turkey 斷然戒除

I decided to go cold turkey and quit soda completely last month.( 我上個月決定徹底戒掉汽水,一口都不碰。

a couch potato 懶散的人

Ever since he got that new TV, he’s turned into a total couch potato.( 自從他買了那台新電視後,就整天窩在沙發上,變得超級懶散。

crocodile tears 假惺惺、裝可憐

He acted all sorry, but you could tell those were just crocodile tears.( 他一副很後悔的樣子,但你一看就知道那只是裝的而已。

one’s cup of tea 所好之物

Horror movies just aren’t my cup of tea—I’d rather watch a comedy instead.( 恐怖片真的不是我的菜,我比較喜歡看喜劇。

to cut and run 臨陣脫逃

I can’t believe he decided to cut and run as soon as things got tough.( 我真不敢相信事情一變得困難,他就立刻選擇逃避。

dog days 大熱天

Man, I can’t wait for fall—it’s hard to do anything in these dog days of summer.( 唉,真的好期待秋天快點來,這種炎熱的夏天什麼事都提不起勁。

footloose and fancy-free 自由自在

Ever since I quit my job, I’ve just been feeling footloose and fancy-free.( 自從我辭職之後,就覺得無拘無束、自在輕鬆。

forty winks 小睡打盹

I’m so tired—I just need to grab forty winks before dinner.( 我真的好累,晚餐前想先小睡一下。

on the grapevine 道聽塗說

I heard on the grapevine that Sarah might be getting a promotion soon.( 我聽說莎拉可能很快就要升職了。

at the drop of a hat 立刻馬上

If you ever need help, just call me—I’ll be there at the drop of a hat.( 如果你需要幫忙,隨時打給我,我會馬上趕過去。

to break the ice 化解尷尬

I told a funny story to break the ice at the start of the meeting.( 我在會議一開始時講了一個有趣的故事來暖場。

to keep / hold at bay 遏制

Drinking orange juice every morning helps me keep colds at bay during winter.( 每天早上喝柳橙汁,讓我在冬天比較不容易感冒。

to kick the bucket 一命嗚呼

I was shocked when I heard that old Mr. Johnson finally kicked the bucket.( 聽到老約翰遜先生終於過世時,我真的很震驚。

to turn over a new leaf 改過自新

After he lost his job, Jake decided it was time to turn over a new leaf.( 在失去工作之後,傑克決定重新開始,展開新的人生。

in the limelight 眾所矚目

Ever since she won the award, she’s really been in the limelight.( 自從她得獎之後,就一直備受矚目。

to make both ends meet 勉強餬口

It’s been tough lately, but I’m doing my best to make both ends meet.( 最近日子過得有點辛苦,不過我還是在努力撐下去。

over the moon 欣喜若狂

I was over the moon when I found out I got the job!( 知道自己錄取那份工作時,我開心到不行!

to face the music 承擔後果

After skipping all those classes, he finally had to face the music with his parents.( 翹了這麼多課後,他終於得面對父母的責難。

a nest egg 未雨綢繆的一筆錢

I’m glad I have a nest egg for emergencies—it really gives me peace of mind.( 很慶幸自己有一筆應急的存款,讓我感到非常安心。

in the nick of time 緊要關頭

I made it to the meeting in the nick of time—traffic was insane!( 我差點趕不上會議,路上塞車塞得超誇張!

no man’s land 三不管地帶

That section behind the store is kind of a no man’s land—nobody goes there.( 店後面的那一區幾乎沒有人會去,根本像是個荒地一樣。

in a pickle 陷入困境

I’m really in a pickle—I lost my keys and I’m locked out of my apartment.( 我現在真的很糟糕——我把鑰匙弄丟了,結果被鎖在公寓外面。

to take a rain check 改天再約

Sorry, I can’t make it tonight—can I take a rain check?( 不好意思,我今天晚上沒辦法來,可以改天約嗎?

the rank and file 基層人員

Most of the changes won’t really affect the rank and file, just upper management.( 大部分的變動其實不會影響到一般員工,主要是針對高層管理階層。

a red-letter day 特別日子

Graduation was really a red-letter day for me and my whole family.( 畢業對我和全家來說,真的是一個難忘又重要的日子。

red tape 官僚作風

I tried to get my license renewed, but there was so much red tape.( 我想去換發駕照,但手續實在太繁瑣了。

to ring a bell 喚起模糊記憶

Her name rings a bell, but I can’t remember where I know her from.( 她的名字聽起來很熟,但我想不起來是在哪裡認識她的。

to ring true 聽起來可信

Her explanation about being late just doesn’t ring true to me at all.( 她遲到的解釋,我完全覺得不可信。

a rolling stone 漂泊不定

Ever since college, Jake’s been a rolling stone, always moving from city to city.( 從大學畢業後,Jake 就像個浪子一樣,不斷在不同城市間遷徙。

to root for 支持、打氣

I’m gonna root for you no matter what, so just go for it!( 不管發生什麼事,我都會支持你,所以勇敢去做吧!

a rule of thumb 經驗法則

A good rule of thumb is to save at least 20% of your paycheck.( 比較好的做法是每次領薪水時,至少存下兩成。

to start from scratch 從零開始

After losing my job, I had to start from scratch and rebuild everything.( 失業之後,我不得不從頭開始,一切都得重新來過。

in a shambles 亂成一團

After the party, the whole house was in a shambles—you could barely walk around!( 派對結束後,整個家裡亂成一團,走路都差點沒地方踩!

a sitting duck 任人宰割的對象

Without backup, I felt like a sitting duck walking through that sketchy neighborhood.( 沒有支援的情況下,走在那個可疑的街區,我覺得自己就像活靶子一樣。

a smoking gun 鐵證

That email was the smoking gun that proved he was behind the whole thing.( 那封郵件就是那個關鍵證據,證明整件事都是他在背後操控的。

back to square one 退回原點

Looks like my computer crashed, so I’m back to square one on this project.( 看來我的電腦當機了,這個專案只好重新開始。

on tenterhooks 緊張、坐立難安

I’ve been on tenterhooks all day waiting to hear back about that job interview.( 我整天都提心吊膽地等著那份工作的面試結果。

to throw in the towel 認輸、放棄

After trying for hours, I finally had to throw in the towel and ask for help.( 我努力了好幾個小時,最後還是只能放棄,向別人求助。

thumbs up / down 贊成/反對

I gave the movie a thumbs up, but my friend gave it a thumbs down.( 我覺得這部電影不錯,不過我朋友卻不喜歡。

to tie the knot 結婚

After dating for five years, they finally decided to tie the knot next summer.( 他們交往了五年,終於決定明年夏天步入婚姻。

over the top 誇張、過頭

Wearing a tuxedo to a backyard barbecue is a little over the top, don’t you think?( 你不覺得穿著燕尾服去後院烤肉有點太誇張了嗎?

two-faced 偽善

I can’t stand how two-faced she is—she acts so nice but talks behind your back.( 我真的受不了她那副兩面派的樣子,表面上一副很好相處,背地裡卻在說別人壞話。