
點擊標題,閱讀成語的詳細說明
up the spout 計畫泡湯、懷孕
Our vacation plans went up the spout when my sister found out she was pregnant.
( 本來的度假計劃因為我姊姊發現自己懷孕而泡湯了。)
to take umbrage 生氣、被冒犯
She really took umbrage at his comment and wouldn’t talk to him all day.
( 她對他的評論感到很不高興,整天都不跟他說話。)
voice crying in the wilderness 孤掌難鳴
Sometimes speaking up here feels like a voice crying in the wilderness—nobody listens.
( 有時候在這裡發言,真的覺得像是在對空氣說話,沒有人在聽。)
to meet one’s Waterloo 慘遭滑鐵盧、栽跟頭
After months of winning, Jake finally met his Waterloo during the championship game.
( 在連續好幾個月的勝利後,Jake終於在冠軍賽中踢到鐵板。)
a wheeler-dealer 投機操作
You gotta watch out for Tim—he’s a real wheeler-dealer in business meetings.
( 你要小心 Tim——他在商業會議上可是個非常精明的生意人。)
a whipping boy 代罪羔羊、代受過者
I’m tired of being the whipping boy every time something goes wrong at work.
( 每次工作上有什麼問題都要我背黑鍋,我真的受夠了。)
because it’s there 因為它在哪裡(不為什麼)
I climbed that hill just because it’s there, no other reason really.
( 我會爬那座山,純粹只是因為它就在那裡,真的沒有其他原因。)
to throw in the sponge 認輸
After trying all afternoon, I finally had to throw in the sponge and give up.
( 我努力了一整個下午,最後還是不得不放棄。)
to give one the willies 令人害怕發毛
That abandoned house at the end of the street really gives me the willies.
( 街尾那棟廢棄的房子真的讓我毛骨悚然。)
in the lap of the gods 天意決定
We’ve done all we can, so now it’s just in the lap of the gods.
( 我們已經盡力了,接下來就只能聽天由命了。)
a nine-day wonder 曇花一現
Everyone thought that new app would last, but it was just a nine-day wonder.
( 大家原本以為那個新app會紅很久,結果只是曇花一現。)
a broken reed 不可靠的人
I wouldn’t trust Jake with this project—he’s a broken reed when things get tough.
( 我不會把這個專案交給Jake,他在關鍵時刻完全靠不住。)
to play Russian roulette 賭命
Taking that job without a backup plan feels like playing Russian roulette with my future.
( 沒有備案就去接那份工作,感覺就像在拿自己的未來賭一把一樣。)
top drawer 一流、頂尖
Her bakery is top drawer—you seriously have to try her chocolate chip cookies.
( 她的烘焙店超棒的,你一定要試試她的巧克力豆餅乾。)
to drive / push to the wall 逼入絕境
They really pushed me to the wall—I had no choice but to quit.
( 他們真的把我逼到絕境,我只好辭職。)
to go to the wall 破產
If the company keeps losing money like this, it’s gonna go to the wall soon.
( 如果公司繼續這樣虧損下去,很快就會撐不下去了。)
to carry the can 背黑鍋
I had to carry the can for something I didn’t even do.
( 我卻得為一件根本不是我做的事背黑鍋。)
to get into a scrape 陷入困境
I always seem to get into a scrape whenever I try to help out.
( 每次我想幫忙時,好像都會惹上麻煩。)
on the water wagon 不喝酒的
I’m on the water wagon these days, so I’ll just have a soda, thanks.
( 我最近戒酒了,所以我只喝汽水,謝謝。)
to over-egg the pudding 誇大其詞
I don’t want to over-egg the pudding, but that movie was truly amazing.
( 我不想誇大其詞,但那部電影真的很棒。)
go Dutch 各付各的
Let’s just go Dutch tonight, so everyone pays for their own meal.
( 今天晚上我們各付各的,大家自己付自己的餐費。)
cut to the chase 別繞圈子、講重點
Alright, let’s cut to the chase—what do you really need from me today?
( 好,我們直接說重點吧,你今天到底需要我幫什麼忙?)
cat got one’s tongue 安靜沉默
Why are you so quiet all of a sudden—cat got your tongue or something?
( 你怎麼突然這麼安靜——是怎麼了,不想講話嗎?)
put on airs 裝模作樣
She started putting on airs as soon as she got that promotion at work.
( 她一升職就開始擺架子了。)
in vain 白費、徒勞
All my efforts to fix the old laptop were in vain—it still won’t turn on.
( 我怎麼修那台舊筆電都沒用,它還是無法開機。)
close call 千鈞一髮
That was a close call—I almost dropped my phone in the pool!
( 差點就出事了—我的手機差一點掉進泳池裡!)

